Wednesday 12 January 2011

Waiting, writing, filling, re-filling, sending, writing, recieving-ish.

I had quit Cafe Nero, London was my oyster... although I had no money to top it up with. But the important part was that I had all the time in the world to consider what I really wanted to do with my life. I spent my next few days philosophising and opened the file on my desktop that said 'C.V'. I knuckled down to some hardcore self advertising and set to work on my portfolio website.

It was a week later when I actually got round to registering at the Job Centre Plus along with the Council to receive Housing Benefits. To say this was an arduous task would be an understatement. The level of bureaucracy rivaled that only of persuading your school Matron that you're ill before a maths exam. I spent a solid week filling out forms and sending letters. This was all to convince them that I do live with three students in a flat, I have no children, no criminals, no pets, no savings, yes these are my only bank accounts, again yes these are my only bank accounts, no I am not an immigrant and yes I am Rupert Mason, no I have no children I thought I already said that, I am not seriously injured however my wrist was starting to ache a little... And then most importantly why I am without money or job.

So to cut a long and very boring story short about two weeks later I believe I received my first cheque, nice one Tower Hamlets Council! Weeks of intense negotiating had paid off. I was signed onto Job Seekers Allowance which gave me £51.50 per week, my council tax was reduced to 0 along with that I received an added £100 each week towards my rent. I was sorted, or so I thought... Having calculated this I realised I had to make a few cuts to my lifestyle and get a job the day after.

No comments:

Post a Comment